RSS

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Boston Restaurant Week Winter 2010

The idea of the joint food blog emerged many months ago but hasn't been fully formed until, well, now. As a result, I have a mountain of material piled up! Get ready to be reallyyyy hungry (I have a midnight snack of corn kernels in warm coconut milk sitting next to me just in case ~_^ )

To kick off the blog, I plan to review the restaurants I tried during Boston's Restaurant week this past winter. Keep in mind that these reviews may not apply to how the food/service may normally be at the restaurants during non-restaurant week days. Also, all the pictures of the food were lost during a virus attack on my computer so the reviews will be brief and with limited pictures =(

Pigalle (3 stars out of 5)
The reason we chose to try this restaurant was due to the number of James Beard awards its head chef has won over the years. When we first stepped foot into this place, we were warmly greeted by the owner/hostess and seated after a short 10 minute wait. The service and ambiance of the restaurant was simply impeccable. However, despite the great first impression, a very unspectacular meal awaited us. The menu overall lacked inspiration which was surprising considering the prestige of the chef. We also ordered a few cocktails that were definitely overly *strong* and barely drinkable. While the food for the most part was seasoned well, the dishes were not particularly interesting and different. Considering the many other fine dining options available in the Boston area, I would not recommend this place to a friend.

Pigalle interior

Wellspring Oysters I believe

Steak Tartare

Duck Cassoulet

Duck, forgot how it's cooked but it's (too) sweet

Beef Brisket

Mixed berry sorbet

Vanilla Creme Brulee

Tremont 647 (3 stars)
Located in the South End, this restaurant served up a tasty little lunch at a very affordable price. The only disappointment was in the dessert--a chocolate pudding cake that, quite literally, looked like a pile of horse dung. It tasted okay, sweet and a little on the heavy side, but the lack of visual appeal caused it to be the source of jokes for the next few days. With eclectic decor that has you wondering if you're in a cafe or middle eastern restaurant and on the spot service, Tremont 647 deserves a try if you're ever in the area and looking for a cool, casual lunch.

Seared Tuna

Rockshrimp Po'boy

Roast Beef Au Ju Sammy

Chocolate pudding cake

Locke Ober (4.5 stars)
Wow. Just wow. The only thing holding me back from giving this place a full 5 stars is the stuffy decor they chose. Walking into this restaurant is like walking into an old Victorian mansion, complete with stiff gaudy decorations (read: hard chairs and over-sized chandeliers with everything plated in what appears to be gold) and an equally stiff and formal wait staff. However, the service was the very definition of perfect and the food was just.. OMG delicious. Once my tastebuds tried their food, they were never the same again. Out of all the restaurants during restaurant week, I still distinctly remember what we ate. I had a lobster bisque as appetizer that puts all other lobster bisque I've ever HAD and ever WILL have to shame. The utter richness and intense lobster flavor just blew my mind. My lovely date had an apple and watercress salad that was just perfectly balanced in all its elements. For the main course, I had a lamb dish cooked medium rare to perfection that caused my tongue to have an orgasm with every bite. The only (slight) downer, and this is in comparison with to the amazingness of the rest of the meal, was the dessert. I had strawberries in a lemon mousse that was just a little too sweet for my taste. The artificial lemon flavoring also didn't help--it brought to mind the flavoring found in Starburst candies. If I ever have the money to spend at a fine dining establishment, I wouldn't even think twice about coming here again!
Lobster Bisque

My lovely date with her watercress salad

Lamb with risotto side

Fish dish..

Strawberries with lemon mousse

Chocolate cake with espresso foam

L'Espalier (4.5 stars)
Located right next to the Prudential center, this is another absolutely delicious place with beautiful modern decor and superb service. A half star is knocked off due to the lack of interesting menu options but, considering it's restaurant week and the perfect execution of the food offered, I would overlook this flaw and recommend this place without hesitation for those that have deep enough wallets.
My friend with his leek soup? I believe

Grotto (4 stars)
Delicious traditional Italian cuisine can be found at this underground establishment. Located in Beacon hill, the food hits the spot and comforts the soul. The only drawback was the slightly slow service and it can get a little loud and stuffy since it's in the basement. The tables are also placed a bit close to each other so I wouldn't recommend this place for a date. But if you come with friends, expect a fabulous time!

Kobe (3.5 stars)
To be honest, if I was rating this steak house purely for its restaurant week menu it would receive 2 stars. Its "ice cube" salad consisted of a head of lettuce shaped into a cube and topped with Krafts salad dressing. The NY strip steak for the main course was on the dry side and nothing to write home about. However, my friend decided to venture off the restaurant week menu after seeing the poor choices and ordered from their main menu. His food (and his bill) was better by leaps and bounds, to the level of what you would expect from a fine dining establishment.

Mmm my stomach is growling like crazy. For the next restaurant week, I already have my hopes set on going to No. 9 Park! I'm also open to other recommendations!

- Fizzy

0 nibbles:

Post a Comment